Blog Post 3

Consider the learning environment for your current design. What potential barriers can be reduced or eliminated to provide more pathways for learner success? 

Addressing students’ varying levels of digital literacy and ensuring effective interaction and navigation of Google Classroom can be vital for inclusive learning. To overcome this potential barrier, we can implement strategies to provide comprehensive training and support. One approach is to offer accessible resources, such as YouTube videos or online tutorials, that guide students in using the platform. These resources empower students to independently access the information they need and enhance their digital literacy skills. Furthermore, Google Classroom itself presents opportunities for seamless communication between teachers and students. Through the platform, students can ask questions, seek clarification, or raise concerns, while teachers can provide ongoing support and guidance. This real-time interaction fosters a supportive learning environment where students feel comfortable expressing their needs and receiving prompt assistance. 

Students possess unique learning styles and preferences, and it is essential for educators to accommodate these differences to promote effective learning. While some students excel in traditional text-based learning, others thrive in more interactive and engaging formats. To cater to diverse learning needs, it is crucial to offer a range of learning resources that encompass various modalities. By providing a rich assortment of materials and resources on Google classroom, such as multimedia content, text-based resources, videos, and audio recordings, as educators we can create multiple pathways for students to access and absorb information. This approach recognizes that each student has their preferred mode of learning and empowers them to choose the method that best suits their individual needs. Integrating multimedia elements, such as videos and interactive activities, into the learning experience enhances student engagement and facilitates a deeper understanding of the subject matter. Whereas, offering text-based resources ensures that students who thrive in reading and textual analysis can access the information they need. 

To ensure the accessibility and inclusivity of our Google Classroom, it is important for us as teachers to take proactive measures. One step is to ensure that Google Classroom and the associated resources adhere to accessibility standards, which could include implementing features like captions for videos, alt text for images, and compatibility with assistive technologies. These enhancements enable students with disabilities or diverse learning needs to fully engage with the content and participate in the learning process. Another aspect of promoting inclusivity is providing multiple language options within the Google Classroom platform. By offering language support, we can accommodate students who are more comfortable learning in languages other than the primary language of instruction. This fosters an inclusive environment where all students can comprehend and engage with the learning materials effectively. In line with this, cultural inclusivity should also be a consideration. By incorporating diverse perspectives, examples, and references in the resources shared on Google Classroom, we can ensure that students from various cultural backgrounds feel represented and can connect with the content.  

“Inclusive Learning Design – EDCI 335.” Educational Technology at the University of Victoria, https://edtechuvic.ca/edci335/inclusive-learning-design/. Accessed 27 June 2023.

Metcalf, D. J. (2011). Succeeding in the inclusive classroom K-12 lesson plans using universal design for learning. SAGE.

Blog Comments-

I think you bring up some really important points here, there is definitely increasing connectivity in the world through technology and there seems to be a shift happening that is moving us toward a technology-based society. I believe that Google Classroom is very effective for presenting learning materials online as the platform’s user-friendly interface makes it less intimidating for learners. However, something I would like to highlight as a potential barrier to learning for some students who partake in online learning is the potential lack of interaction with other students. To address this drawback, I’m curious to know if your interactive learning resource incorporates features that promote student-to-student connection and facilitate discussions around the learning material. Encouraging collaborative activities, discussion forums, or virtual group projects can greatly enhance the learning experience by fostering a sense of community among students. Creating opportunities for students to connect and discuss the material can lead to deeper understanding and a learning environment that is more inclusive to students who kind of need that interaction with others to do well.

Hi Gracen,
I absolutely love your post! I think it touches on some very important aspects of creating a universal learning design. I thought the way you incorporated an audio component to read your blog aloud was really awesome. As a learner, I have discovered that I struggle to retain information when I am solely relying on reading extensive amounts of text for an extended period. Hence, having the option to listen to your blog and actually think about the ideas you discuss is absolutely fantastic. Thank you for recognizing the diverse learning preferences of your learners and providing an inclusive experience. Your thoughtful approach not only enhances the accessibility of your content but also demonstrates your commitment to engaging readers in a way that resonates with their individual learning styles, which is so so important for their success! I truly enjoyed your post and commend you for incorporating the audio component. From what you touch on in your blog I believe you will make a significant difference in student’s ability to absorb and reflect upon the information you share. Keep up the amazing work!
Chloe

1. kharris

Hi Chloe! I enjoyed your insights this week. I agree with the idea of using a rich assortment of materials, to eliminate the potential barrier of Google Classroom. From my personal experience, I thrive when I have a variety of resources to learn from. For example, I like how this course uses videos, as well as reading, it allows me to have a stronger idea of the content being taught.

I also talked about language being a potential barrier to my interactive learning. I think that students being able to make use of the translation feature will be very beneficial, and inclusive to all students.

Good luck with the rest of your interactive learning resource!

2. Anastassiya

Hi Chloe! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on how to create a more inclusive and accessible learning environment in Google Classroom. Your suggestions were fantastic and truly highlighted the key aspects of this important topic, such as incorporating diverse perspectives, examples, captions, alt text, and various means of material presentation. It’s great to see teachers working to ensure that everyone has equal access to education. Keep up the excellent work!

3. jennadickie

Hi Chloe! I really enjoyed this post! I used google classroom all throughout elementary and high school but now I am using it for my ILD as well. When I came to UVIC I struggled using brightspace as it was a different platform than I was used to. Having readily available accessibility features can not only help those that may require them to use the platform but they can help those who are new to the platform too. – Jenna Dickie

4. danielwheaton

Hey Chloe!
    Great blog post about learners’ accessibility and how to eliminate barriers! I loved how it emphasizes creating an inclusive learning environment on Google Classroom. Addressing varying levels of digital literacy by offering accessible resources and training is so thoughtful. The idea of accommodating diverse learning styles with a range of multimedia and text-based materials is great! Also, ensuring accessibility with captions, alt text, and language options is truly inclusive. Keep up the great work in fostering a supportive and diverse learning space for all students.